Monday, February 16, 2009

One more time around

So, the bad news. I mentioned in my one-year anniversary post that my mom had breast cancer last year. She was diagnosed in July, had surgery in August, and she finished up radiation treatment right before Thanksgiving. Luckily, she's fine now. She's taking Arimidex every day for the next five years to help prevent relapse, but we've all been breathing easier lately.

However...

We found out Thursday that my dad has prostate cancer. It's incredibly small, and obviously very early, but it's still very scary. His father, my Poppy, passed away a year and a half ago after a 15-year battle with prostate cancer, so this is a familiar and terrifying enemy. Dad's made the decision that he wants to have surgery - just take the thing out, and be done with it. So now we just have to wait for his consultation with the surgeon and subsequent scheduling of the procedure.

It's just unbelieveable. I never thought that I would see both of my parents diagnosed with cancer in less than one year - and before I turn 30, no less.

Mr. T and I headed to Greenville on Saturday evening to have dinner with them, which was lovely. My brother and his girlfriend came over, and we had a fabulous lobster dinner and plenty of red wine. I'm so glad that we went, and I think that my dad was happy to have us all home for a little while.

5 comments:

Stefanie K. said...

I'm so sorry, but grateful to hear that this is an early diagnosis. I look forward to update posts about how wonderfully well recovered he is in the very near future. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Cancer sucks. :(

Tara said...

Oh honey I am so sorry to hear this. We will be praying for your dad and your entire family during this time!

Sandy said...

I found your blog through weddingbee (I share your obsession with Friday Night Lights).

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about your father's cancer diagnosis.

Also, I wanted to comment b/c my husband works for a medical device company that deals with prostate cancer. I've seen many patient testimonials and there are many survivors with the techonology today. Here's his company's website http://www.calypsomedical.com/ if you want to do some research. My husband has many contacts with urologists and radiation oncologists all over, so if you need any information, please feel free to email me for his contact information.

Anonymous said...

Jenn - just read this as I was perusing your blog again. So sorry, girl! I know your pain - my parents were diagnosed within 2 weeks of each other with the same cancers. That was in Dec. '03. Mom had 9 mos of chemo, then radiation to battle breast cancer & Dad opted to have his prostate removed. To give you hope, they're both doing better than ever - cancer-free and healthy. I'll be praying for you and your family. Let me know if you ever want someone to talk to who's been there. - Heather

Anonymous said...

Aw I'm so sorry to hear this but glad it was caught early. Hang in there, you're a pillar of strength!