Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hopes Dashed

So I just found out (through unofficial channels, but it's official enough) that the job that I really really wanted went to someone else.

I don't understand - it seemed to be a perfect fit. I had impeccable references for this organization, I completely hit it off with the manager, I had a great meeting with the CEO last week, and my experience lined up perfectly with the job description. I had even heard through the grapevine that I was the only candidate that they brought back to meet the CEO.

I guess that turned out to be false, huh?

The bottom line is, I'm worried. I'm concerned that my former boss is trashing me to potential employers. I emailed him a while ago to ask him to provide references when requested, and he never responded. I have to wonder: if this is the case, how am I ever going to find something new? I work in a very small professional community, and I'm terrified that someone is ruining my reputation, phone call by phone call.

I have one more ball in the air - I have a second phone interview next week, but I truly feel like this job is a long shot.

So, today is a bad day. I'm incredibly disappointed, and really really sad.

ETA: Suspicions confirmed. My old boss is out there slamming me. The job was mine, they were prepared to make an offer until they talked to him. I'm horrified, absolutely horrified.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Oh no!!! I am so sorry you're having to go through this Jenn!!!

Jenna said...

Oh no, why would your old boss do that?

Stefanie K. said...

That's awful! Have you been able to talk to him or figure out why he would do that? I'm so sorry. That is awful!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie! I am totally a late comer to you blog and, as a job hunter myself I feel your pain and want to go punch this idiot in the face for you. What a complete jerk!
Anyway, I hope things are going a little better for you now and that you're doing okay.
Hugs,
Hum