Monday, December 1, 2008

The Hunt

I haven't addressed this yet on my new blog, but here's the deal - I'm currently unemployed. I was let go from my previous job at the end of September, and I've been on the prowl for a new gig ever since. My focus has been to find a new role in the arena where I've built up my resume - government affairs. I have a good amount of experience doing contract, trade association, and corporate work, and everyone seems very impressed by my skill set, but so far nothing has popped. Last month, I interviewed with a gas company and a hospital system, and last week I had a phone interview with a national organization concerned with MS. Just this morning, I had an interview with an energy company here in Atlanta. So yes, there are opportunities out there, but I'm worried that I'm this close to exhausting them. I think the energy company I met with today is my best shot of finding something before the new year - we'll see.

Luckily, Mr. T is doing very well in his job, so money hasn't been a huge issue thus far. The main problem we're facing is that he works on a contract basis, and thus doesn't have corporate-subsidized healthcare. At the moment, we're existing on the very expensive Cobra plan my old job provided. Yuck.

It's really hard to stay positive when you're job hunting in this economy. I believe in myself, and I know that I will find something eventually, but there are only so many jobs - and many more job searchers than there are openings. It can be incredibly frustrating.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Keep your chin up! Maybe this is Gods way of saying you should do that stationery business your so great at!!! Just thinking! ; )

TwoWishes Tara said...

Poor dear -- seems like there are so many talented blogging women in your same boat. Hope this transition leads to something wonderful for you!